I have had a lot on my mind today. I have been thinking about a friend of mine that has just started her fight with Breast Cancer. I know we have all known someone or have heard of someone that is fighting this disease. It seems that it's becoming more and more common though...too common. When I went to lunch with this friend a couple months ago the last thing I ever thought she would tell me was that she had cancer. Today she went in for surgery to have a mastectomy and will start chemotherapy in a few weeks. I stopped by my moms today for a minute because she had some of her friends over that I haven't see in so long. One of them also had a battle with breast cancer, it was so wonderful to see her. I was watching t.v. today and turned on Oprah...her show today was on this very topic. I couldn't keep my eyes off of it. I went into the grocery store today and the whole front of the store was covered in PINK. I've always loved this color but it struck me differently today. There were a couple girls in front of the store selling root beer floats for $1.00 and it's donated for Breast Cancer. I've always loved yummy treats and for a buck~how could you pass up that? But again, it struck me differently. When October comes around we usually think about fall, pumpkins, candy, costumes, trick or treating, etc. What I've come to learn is that October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. What I have come to learn is that we must be aware of what is going on with our bodies. We must pay attention to them and become more responsible with ourselves. We can't always think that this could never happen to me...because it can. The more aware we become the more empowered we become. Today I really felt myself wanting to do something...wanting to help in some way. I'm not able to do much of anything really. But donating a dollar or two at the grocery store can help, it all adds up. Putting a little post up on my blog can help. Trying to encourage people to get checked...do your self exams...if you have a history in your family~you need to get checked. This disease effects thousands and thousands and thousands of people each year. We all need to become more aware and pay attention to our bodies. For the month of October that is what I'm going to try to do...this month I'm going PINK.
13 years ago




4 comments:
Good for you for going pink! And Thanks I guess about the weather comments! I had to go buy cold weather jammies today, it is already 40 at night! BRRRRR! It is just ridiculous! So I should be nice and say ENJOY your WARM winter!
Hey I have been meaning to tell you that I am doing a primary blog and there are pics from the activites if you were feeling nostalgic! dewittprimary.blogspot.com
This is the last time I will bug you today but I forgot to tell you that Jenny is playing christmas music! She called me at 8 this morning to wish me a happy opening day! You should call her and sing her a christmas carol! She would love that!
Thanks for the reminder Dara!
Post a Comment