Thursday, February 26, 2009

I need me

The past few months I have been in a 100% slump. I haven't been exercising at all...I've been eating what ever I want and I have a sweet tooth that is a MILE long...maybe two miles! I go to bed way too late and I normally have a craving for something sweet before bed. It's almost like I have no control and I just didn't care. I wake up in the morning to my kids saying, "I'm hungry mom, I need a drink, I need this I need that". I would wake up every morning not ready for the day and feeling like I'd been run over by a truck because I was so tired. I was just flat out annoyed to be quite honest. I don't know what has happened to me but I decided this week that it's not happening ANYMORE! I'm not going to let my body go down the crapper. When you don't take care of yourself and you don't feel good about your self it really does show in so many ways.
This week I started doing what I did all last year and I don't know how I ever let it go. I wake up around 6am and meet my exercise buddy Suzie by 6:30am and we walk/run a little over 3 miles. This morning as I was leaving the house, the sun was barely coming up so it was still pretty dark. But it was so quiet and peaceful and a little bit chilly. As I was walking down the street I took this deep breath in and it felt like the best breath of fresh air I had ever taken! I just felt so happy and ready for my day...it was awesome! This was my time for the day and I so need to have that "me" time. My kids and my husband need me and need me to do things for them all the time and that's OK...that's life. But it's SO NICE when I can wake up in the morning and know that nobody needs me yet!!! It's about me now...I need me now. The only time I can squeeze in for me may be early in the morning but it's there just for me. I think as mothers we are always taking care of other people and we forget about ourselves. I know if I take care of myself first... I can take care of everyone else so much more...and I'm happier! It's really a huge bonus all the way around.
So all you mothers out there...Remember to take care of yourselves and to have some "ME" time each day! Don't allow yourselves to feel guilty or feel that you're being selfish. Just take charge and do it! It can only make you better, more happy and able to give more and who doesn't want that??
...I Need Me...

6 comments:

Trashy Decor said...

Thank you for sharing that Dara.
I'm glad you're taking some time to yourself so that you can feel and be your best! Thanks for the reminder love!

xoxo

Allison said...

Well I must say that it is comforting to know that I am not the only one who feels like that sometimes!! Glad you are feeling happier although I must say I can't imagine you with out your smile!

Rebecca Stoker said...

Yeah Dara!! I'm so proud of you!! It's hard getting over a slump and you are so inspiring!! I'm way excited to hear that you are feeling your best! I love ya girl!

Cyn said...

Me time? What's that?!?! I'm the worst... I don't take care of ME at all. If I have time to myself, I seem to spend it worrying about something (kids, bills, messes) or napping, because I didn't sleep well the night before. I'm not unhappy... I'm just perpetually tired. I used to have so much energy, and my days used to seem longer. Time to get back to yoga, I think. :)

Irene said...

I AGREE!! That translated into a few hours in the bathroom for me last week. First the shower, then a mani and pedi while I waited for my hair to dry. Then I did my hair, make up, got dressed and felt like a woman again. I have been committed to dressing nice too. Now waking up that early is a challenge, but I am going to give it a try. I want a tight butt...a really big tight butt...I guess you find those cheaper at the gym than at the surgeon's table.

Elizabeth said...

AMEN to that. It is so nice to just have some time alone without anyone needing you and to replenish a bit of yourself. Glad you are loving that time.