Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The unplanned haircut


I knew that this day would come. One day I would walk in and find one of my kids with scissors giving themselves a makeover. But for some reason I seriously thought that I had sailed right on by that phase scott free. That was very wishful thinking on my part! A couple weeks ago I walked into my bedroom and found Tyler with scissors and his bangs were GONE! I was in total shock and asked him a question that I obviously knew the answer to..."DID YOU JUST CUT YOUR HAIR??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" He looked at me right in the face and said, "no I didn't." Can you believe that? Not only did he cut his hair but he lied to me about it while he was holding the evidence in his hand! At that point I was more furious because he lied to me. Then I started to tell him that now we have to buzz his whole head off and then he started crying and freaking out. I don't think he understood what I was meaning because he thought that I was going to cut his head off. Needless to say we both needed to calm down and relax. Thank goodness that hair grows back and that this was Tyler and not Ashlynn! Dave came home and we went out back and started to buzz his head. We had to use the shortest guard because Ty cut his bangs so far down. Dave needed to get around his ear and took off the guard. Ty moved and Dave went right up the side of his head! It was taking everything in me to not freak out again. Dave tried to go around and fix it but it just wasn't working. So he had to finish his whole head with no guard... he pretty much looked like he had cancer or something. It was so sad and even more sad when Tyler looked at himself in the mirror. He was so embarrassed and scared to go to school. Hopefully now he learned his lesson to never mess with scissors again! He wouldn't let me take a picture of the finished look so I will have to post those later. It's been a couple weeks now and his hair has filled in and looks pretty good.

He is all ready for summer now...plus I told him he can swim faster now! I swear it is never dull around here....EVER!

3 comments:

Megan said...

Oh no! He will never touch another pair of scissors in his whole life! Poor Ty. I wonder how much longer we can avoid this scenario at our house. It's only a matter of time...

Tifani said...

I want to see a picture of his hair after the hair cut. I bet he is still a cutie!

The Allens said...

That is the funniest story I've ever heard. Please Tyler let Mom take your picture, you are a hero in the Mission Office, just the "coolest" kid in town. Next they will ask you to advertise for HANES underwear because you are cool like Michael Jordan. The picture Lindsy took are so precious. What a gift that she gives to all of your family. Tell her thanks from Grammy and Grampy. Love to all, Sister Allen and Elder Allen. Hey David you look like you have lost a lot of weight? Is it just the picture or for real. Love Mom